- This is a full-time position.
- This is a remote-flexible position. We’ll need this person to live close enough to our Toronto office that they can go in at least once or twice a week. Relocation assistance is available.
- Work hours are flexible, but meetings are likely to fall within the traditional 8-5 (EST) workday.
- We will share the salary for this position during the intro call.
Hello! We’re the engineering team at Synex Medical. We’re a ~28-person medical device startup, and we’re developing a miniaturized health monitor that can non-invasively measure blood metabolites like glucose and lactate. Our technology is based on novel techniques we’ve developed in magnetic resonance.
We’re on track to deliver our MVP by the end of Q4 2022, which will measure glucose and lactate non-invasively. We are gearing up for some big milestones (series A, clinical validation, MVP delivery). To support these milestones, we’re looking to bring on a Director of Engineering to lead the engineering team.
- Manage a team of electrical and mechanical engineers as they design and build novel NMR/MRS hardware, including linear gradient sets, active shim coils, permanent magnets, and custom electronics
- Prepare and manage the engineering budget and resources
- Develop strategies for Synex’s future device(s) in collaboration with product and R&D teams and serve as a key advisor to Synex’s executive leadership
- Grow hardware engineering team and coordinate new employee training
This role prioritizes both technical and people leadership. As a technical leader, the team will look to you for expertise in critical areas such as MRI/NMR instrumentation, mixed-signal electronics, embedded systems, and applied physics. As a team leader, you’ll be responsible for project management and setting the agenda for our technical staff. Beyond technical guidance and relationship building, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get hands-on while supporting and collaborating on the development of our products from concept to creation.
Here are a couple of things we believe you’ll need to be successful:
- Academic background in physics, electrical or mechanical engineering, or equivalent
- Knowledge of magnetic resonance and related hardware
- Ability to design, build and test custom hardware
- Experience leading and building teams
- Experience working in a regulated environment (medical, automotive) and within the context of global standards, such as ISO 13485, IEC 60601
Please apply here if you’re interested in this role. If you’d like to know more about our interview process and the benefits we offer, check out our career page. And if you have any questions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you!