- This is a full-time position.
- The person we hire for this position will focus on discovering and designing hardware for consumer medical products.
- This is primarily an in-person position in our Toronto office. That being said, we’ll support remote work as much as possible.
- Work hours are flexible, but meetings are likely to fall within the traditional 8-5 (EST) workday.
- We will share the salary for this position during the intro call.
- We are a distributed team, so this person should be comfortable traveling.
Hi! I’m Houston, and I lead our Product team at Synex Medical. We’re a ~20 person medical device startup that’s developing a miniaturized health monitor that can measure critical blood metabolites non-invasively. That technology is based on novel techniques we’ve developed in magnetic resonance.
We're on track to deliver our MVP by the end of 2021, which will measure glucose and lactate non-invasively. We are gearing up for some big milestones (series A, clinical validation, MVP delivery). To support these milestones, we’re looking to grow our Product team.
That team consists of just two people (myself and our CEO Ben), so you will be the first full-time designer at Synex. You’ll work with us to embed user-centric design into every aspect of our product development. You’ll also work closely with our electrical and mechanical engineering teams to build our very first product.
Here are a couple of the things we need your help with:
- Collaborating with our mechanical group to design a manufacturable and viable product that users will love
- Ensuring user-centric design is incorporated into every facet of our device
- Ideating, fabricating, and testing prototypes to ensure we are developing a best in class product
- Developing a process to prove that we have managed risks and delivered a testable Design Output derived from rigorously identified Design Inputs
Synex is a small company inventing revolutionary technology. The path forward is uncertain, and it will be filled with prototypes that never see the light of day. If you’re someone that loves the process and is comfortable navigating through some ambiguity, you might be a good fit!
As our first design hire, we don’t expect you to cover everything from ID to UX to Graphic Design. That being said, we all stretch ourselves to get the job done. We need someone that’s excited to try new things and is comfortable asking for help when they need it.
Lastly, we are working in a highly regulated medical space, so documentation and adherence to process are really important. You should be prepared to work within those constraints.
Here are a couple of other qualifications we believe you’ll need to be successful:
- Experience in medical product development from end to end; discovering, defining, developing, and transferring consumer medical products.
- The desire to join us on a journey from concept through to mass production and beyond to a suite of products that will all require extensive certification.
- Ability to clearly document processes and prove adherence to those processes by following international standards
- Comfort translating the technical details of our products to simple and elegant solutions for our users
- Experience with FDA, UL, FCC, etc.
- Extensive experience with SolidWorks
If you’d like to know more about our interview process and the benefits we offer, check out our career page. And if you have any questions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you!